The staff at my job volunteered to create a formal dining experience for our students.
We started with a PowerPoint presentation on dining etiquette and classroom discussions on things such as:
* Passing the salt and pepper as a set.
* Starting with silverware on the outside.
* Waiting for everyone to be served before eating.
* Not blowing on food to cool.
* Passing food to the left.
There was a jazz band and a sparkling juice toast. The students were impressed with out being overwhelmed.
I learned a thing or two about being a serving. Food is served on the left and cleared from the right. There is an art to pouring beverages from pitchers with ice.
I have a deeper appreciation for food service staff. I am glad our students will know how to conduct themselves in a formal setting and feel privy to finer things.