PAPA JOHN’S 10 MILER
Recap of everything I did wrong:
1. I missed the online registration deadline and paid a $15 penalty for registering during packet pick up the day before the race.
2. Pre race dinner consisted of an Eggland’s Best omlette stuffed with sage sausage, bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, and American Cheese. It wouldn’t be right with out cheese grits and wheat toast on the side.
3. No special planning for my race fit. The 2014 race shirt was pretty snazzy. Some consider it a big No-No/bad luck to run in the race shirt on race day and I believed that up until today.
4. I munched on Saltine crackers from the time I left home until I parked in the Green Lot.
5. No gear check for me! I wore a hoody with all intentions of gear checking that bad boy. “The Hawk” (the wind) was only going to get worse through those Iroquois Hills. Running in a cotton hoody vs. my cutesy, thumb cut out running jacket was definitely a change from the layering norm.
6. I held my Otter box protected Galaxy 4 in my hand the entire way. I knew I wasn’t running with a time goal, just for fun so why not snap it up.
7. I slowed and walked through every water stop. Normally, I would would knock out 10 miles with one or two sips.
As it turns out, my unsystematic approach to my 2nd running of the Papa John’s 10 Miler did not hinder my experience or performance.
It was nice to see my Running group buddies: Lori, Jess and Rhonda. I haven’t ran with them since Nov/Dec.
When I was coming out the last hill of Iroquois, I saw Emelia and told her how much I’ve missed spin class. I hope to be back to morning workouts soon.
In conclusion, I absolutely love the Papa John’s 10 Miler race. The route is scenic, the volunteers are fabulous and the best part…PIZZA!
Slowest mile= 9:18 at mile 1.
Fastest mile= 7:43 at mile 7.